Brendan Gilligan

OTHER NEWS

Pandemic is ‘our long Good Friday’

The Bishop of Plymouth has described the period we are living through as “a long Good Friday”. Recognising the loss of normal services, as well as the ordinary pastoral activity of the Church, during the pandemic, Bishop Mark O’Toole encouraged people to recognise the...

Anger as elderly pressured into signing DNR forms

Older people are feeling pressured into signing ‘Do Not Attempt CPR’ forms during the Covid-19 pandemic, a coalition of charities said. Organisations supporting the elderly said they were hearing ‘shocking examples’ of blanket decisions seemingly being made about the...

Google searches for ‘prayer’ skyrocket amid Covid-19 pandemic

Google searches for ‘prayer’ have surged worldwide as cases of Covid-19 have grown. The rising interest in seeking information about ‘prayer’ on Google ‘skyrocketed in March when the virus went global’, wrote Jeanet Sinding Bentzen, an associate professor at the...

Cardinal Pell released from prison after court overturns conviction

Cardinal George Pell has been released from prison after 405 days behind bars after the seven judges of the High Court of Australia unanimously overturned the original December 2018 jury verdict that found him guilty on five counts of molesting two 13-year-old...

Families hopeful as inquest into Ballymurphy Massacre gets under way

The families of ten people who were killed in gunfire during three days of shootings in west Belfast in 1971 are hopeful that fresh inquests will give them answers.

The inquests investigating an episode bereaved relatives refer to as the Ballymurphy Massacre began in Belfast today.

In 2011, Northern Ireland’s Attorney General John Larkin directed that new inquests be heard after a long campaign by family members, who claimed the original coronial probes in the aftermath of the shootings were inadequate.

Coroner Ms Justice Siobhan Keegan confirmed the inquests would proceed as scheduled during a final preparatory hearing in Belfast last week.

Briege Voyle, whose mother Joan Connolly, 44, was one of 10 people killed in the incident expressed hope that a long-awaiting inquest could deliver truth.

“We’ve waiting this long for it to come, it’s a wee bit hard to believe that it’s actually happening, but at the same time we are just so glad that it’s here,” she said.

“We think that after 47 years we are going to get some form of truth.”

John Teggart, whose father Daniel was one of those killed, added: “The determination to clear our loved ones’ names is not because we are trying to rewrite history but because we are correcting history.”

A Catholic priest was among the 10 fatally injured in the shootings, involving members of the Parachute Regiment.

Another man died of a heart attack following an alleged violent confrontation with the troops in the west Belfast estate.

The shootings took place as the Army moved in to republican strongholds to arrest IRA suspects in the wake of the introduction by the Stormont administration of the controversial policy of internment without trial.

Soldiers have long been held responsible for killing all 10 people in Ballymurphy between 9th-11th August, 1971, but the accepted narrative became clouded earlier this year when former members of the paramilitary Ulster Volunteer Force came forward to claim their organisation was also involved.

Opening statements in the inquests will be heard this week, followed by personal statements from relatives of those who died.

Evidence in the first inquest will be heard in the week commencing 28th November.

Photo: The families of the ten people who were killed in gunfire during three days of shootings in west Belfast in 1971, gather outside Laganside Courts ahead of a fresh inquest. Cate McCurry/PA Wire

SUBSCRIPTION OFFER: GET THE CATHOLIC UNIVERSE DIGITAL EDITION FREE FOR TWO MONTHS. TO SIGN UP VISIT www.thecatholicuniverse.com

Share

OTHER NEWS

Pandemic is ‘our long Good Friday’

The Bishop of Plymouth has described the period we are living through as “a long Good Friday”. Recognising the loss of normal services, as well as the ordinary pastoral activity of the Church, during the pandemic, Bishop Mark O’Toole encouraged people to recognise the...

Anger as elderly pressured into signing DNR forms

Older people are feeling pressured into signing ‘Do Not Attempt CPR’ forms during the Covid-19 pandemic, a coalition of charities said. Organisations supporting the elderly said they were hearing ‘shocking examples’ of blanket decisions seemingly being made about the...

Google searches for ‘prayer’ skyrocket amid Covid-19 pandemic

Google searches for ‘prayer’ have surged worldwide as cases of Covid-19 have grown. The rising interest in seeking information about ‘prayer’ on Google ‘skyrocketed in March when the virus went global’, wrote Jeanet Sinding Bentzen, an associate professor at the...

Cardinal Pell released from prison after court overturns conviction

Cardinal George Pell has been released from prison after 405 days behind bars after the seven judges of the High Court of Australia unanimously overturned the original December 2018 jury verdict that found him guilty on five counts of molesting two 13-year-old...